- If WhatsApp chat is secure, then how did the drugs chat of celebs get leaked? Here’s how your WhatsApp chat can be leaked
- WhatsApp’s chats are end-to-end, encrypted, but not backed up
Chats can be easily accessed with backups stored in Gmail–
If there is a discussion going on right now, it is Bollywood’s drug chat. The result of WhatsApp’s viral chat is that from Deepika to Sara Ali Khan, the NCB has taken a beating. This is how WhatsApp chat is end-to-end encrypted. So how did the celebs’ drug chat get leaked? This question has also become a topic of discussion. WhatsApp has also given a statement for its security.
There was nothing new in this statement, however. WhatsApp is end-to-end encrypted, but not direct. Rather chats can be achieved indirectly.
WhatsApp says that you can only sign up for a WhatsApp account with a phone number. The company also does not have access to users’ message content.
Is WhatsApp chat Backup Secure?
According to the company, backups stored in cloud storage or backups are not chat end-to-end encrypted. Users usually keep a backup of WhatsApp on Google Drive. WhatsApp also has the option of auto chat backup. It stores chats on the cloud
If someone wants to leak your WhatsApp chat, they can get it through Drive with your Gmail ID. Backups stored in Gmail are not end-to-end encrypted.
The security agency does the cloning
- To access WhatsApp’s encrypted data, security and investigative agencies take users’ phones and clone them. Cloning is performed on another device.
- After cloning, agencies get access to the deleted message from the mirror image. Professional tools are used for this and it is done on a separate device.
- Phone cloning gives access to the phone’s messages, photos, call records and cloud apps. WhatsApp chats can be easily recovered from there. WhatsApp’s chats are end-to-end, encrypted, but not backed up. WhatsApp chats can be easily retrieved if someone gets access to the backup.